Saturday, January 22, 2011

Race Day- New Zealand Selections





Saturday: Having not raced since the Worlds in September I was feeling a bit nervous on the start line. It is always hard to know where you are at and how your training is progressing so I was intrigued to see the results. I set a solid race plan for Run 1 and stuck to it putting down a safe and solid clean run. It felt awesome to get to the bottom of the run and know that I had executed to plan, maybe not as fast as I had hoped but there were some good sections and things to take out of it. I finished with a 111 clean, 2nd after Luuka who did a 102+6. Going into my 2nd run I was feeling a lot more relaxed and was ready to bust out some aggression. The top was mint and I was going well until I messed up a move and lost composure. It was disappointing as I was hoping for a better run but all good. I finished a second slower than my first run and was given a 2second penalty.

Full race results can be found on: Slalomnz


Sunday: Today the tropical cyclone hit the Islands of the South Pacific! Waking up to the rain is always a good feeling and for my flat and many friends around, it was a wake up to an epic day of creeking! For me, I was back to Kawerau for selection race number 2, only to find it has been cancelled!!!!!!!!!A bit funny really, to cancel a kayak race due to rain. Back to training now on the high waters of the Kaituna! Gutted for my mates too as the rivers are too high to run..they will have to wait for them to go down before they shred them up!

Katrina Van Wijk (Awesome Canadian chick) has also returned to NZL for another epic summer! Heres some pics we took the other night when we, along with our German friend Lisa, went for a sunset paddle on the lake next to my house.

















No comments: