Thursday, February 24, 2011

Study, Surf and Southern adventures to come..


On arrival home to New Zealand I was greeted with some very sad news. While I was in the air crossing the ditch back to NZL from AUS a large 6.3(Riktor Scale) earthquake shook the Southern Island of New Zealand and destroyed our second largest city, Christchurch. An absolute tragedy for our country and especially for those in the area. Over 100 fatalities have been reported and there are still many missing people. Since I have been home we have been getting constant live updates on the news. Its really depressing to watch and hard to process as it seems quite surreal.


For me I am back into full-time University study! I have the week off training so am making the most of getting some work done before I head to the South Island next Thursday morning to partake in what is considered New Zealand's biggest participated Extreme Kayak event, Bullerfestival. This will be followed by a few helli kayak trips on the West Coast and the New Zealand Extreme Nationals on the Citroen Rapid just out of Queenstown. It is going to be an epic week!
Below is a picture from the surf spot I went to last night (Little Waihi, of Maketu). The surf was massive, I spent about 30mins tackling the waves to get beyond the break (This photo is from the night before when it was a bit more mellow)!



















Here is a photo I found on Bullerfests website of the race last year...

No comments: