Monday, July 13, 2009

World Cup 3- Spain

World Cup number 3 for 2009 in Augsberg, Germany came and went pretty quickly. We spent the week in Augsberg chilling with Kathrin at her place and it rained most days. On the Friday we had qualification for the World Cup race. I was feeling good for the race and quite liked the course. Jindruch Benus from Czech kindly walked the course with me before my 1st run. Unfortunately I missed 1 gate at the top of the course which pretty much meant game over for my 1st run. My 2nd run started a lot better but I once again missed a gate just coming down the Zoomfloom, I went back for it but lost so much time in the process. So for me this race was very unsuccessful. I was feeling pretty gutted but have managed to get over it and I will try and learn from my mistakes. My parents were there which was awesome to have their support. On the Saturday I took part in the Boater X that they held, it was really fun and lightened my spirit a lot! I made it through to the final and finished in 4th which was cool, even though I didn’t perform in the final.
In reflection of the World Cups I feel that although I didn’t perform as well as I could have my paddling reflected a huge improvement from last year. I now have a lot to work on for the World Champs in September so am looking forward to getting in lots of practice.
Last night Luuka and I left Augsberg in Luuka and Aaron and Stephs car and headed for La Seu in Spain(Venue of World Champs). We are here for this week doing some training as there is free water on the course. Unfortunately when we were about 2hrs from La Seu the car broke down!!!It is fully wrecked and will not go. So we went in to a nearby bakery and all the locals helped us get sorted. Being 6pm by the time the car had been checked and diagnosed with its death all the car rental shops were closed and there were no more buses to La Seu. We came to the conclusion we were going to have to ditch the car and take only necessary items(Kayak, paddle, paddling gear, passport, Laptop) and hitch our way to La Seu. We were just about to start hitching when a big Van pulled up with an Andorra number plate. Fortunately these very kind people had room for Luuka and myself and our kayaks!!!!They were soo nice and gave us a ride all the way to La Seu! Along the way we drove over the Pyreenees, through French and Spanish countryside, and I got given a great history lesson. We were feeling so fortunate to have been so lucky to catch a ride here and with such nice people. We are so glad to finally be in Spain and able to train!
Off to set some courses now...

No comments: