Saturday, January 30, 2010

NZ Selections 3 & 4 & NZ OPEN

NZ Selection Races 3 and 4: Mangahao
Selection Race 3: My preparation leading up to these races was not what I would call the best! I havn’t had a day of rest in over 10days and I spent Mon-Fri going on kayak missions, in the gym and playing out in the sun! And I have about 15 competitors staying at my house here in Otaki so its been pretty busy. All was good however. And I managed to pull together some okay runs. My 2nd run was 3secs faster than my first, with a 109. I touched 1 gate in each run. My 2nd run was better in most places but I had a spin out in gate 6 which cost me a few seconds, unfortunate because most other parts of my run were good! Luuka’s fastest run was a 107 plus 2. Kate did a 101+2. Roz did a 106sec clean.
My C1 first run wasn’t bad, but I got given a 50sec penalty. My 2nd run was 10sec slower and not in percentage.
So after Ranking Race 3, Luuka and I are confirmed as on the NZ Senior Canoe Slalom Team! I have a lot to take out of the races. I am pretty happy considering I didn’t really taper off much for these races and am feeling good for the up and coming season.
Selection Race 4: So today we had the final races for our NZ Team selection. I was feeling pretty good and confident before my runs. My 1st run went okay, but I was low in the last upstream and lost a bit of time in a spin. My time was 109+2. My 2nd run was better in some places but the places I did really well in my 1st run I screwed up. So my run time remained a 101, and I had 4sec worth of penalty’s. Kate Lawrence from Australia dominated the womens class with a 99+2. Then came Roz L, followed by Jane Nicolas, Jess Groenvald from Canada, Luuka, and then myself in 6th. K1M was Will Forsythe(Auz), Rapheal (Fra), Vavra(CZE), Huw Sweatnam(GBR), Mike Dawson(NZ) and then John Hastings in 6th. For NZ Team its Mike, Aaron and Johann. For C1- Mike, Brent and Shaun Travers.
C2- Ben and Brayden are 1st boat, then Bryden and Andrew.
C1M- Nico(France) was 1st, Edern(Fra) was 2nd.
For more results: www.slalomnz.org.nz
Now I am going to stay in Otaki doing studying and training for the next 2weeks.
Some interesting things to take out of races for me are: Out of the 8 race runs I had 5touches, all of which were this weekend. Out of the 4days of racing, in 3 of the days my 2nd runs were better.
Its sounding like I made the team for C1 too!
I have lots to take out of the races. I felt my performance had improved a lot since last year. I was really clean at the start and this was great, I need to stay clean however! I felt my runs had a lot of good stuff in them but I need to work on holding it together for the whole run! My 2nd runs were mainly better, I think this was because I was more energized and generally paddled more reactivly. It will be good to have a day of rest tommorrow! Its been too long!

No comments: