Thursday, June 23, 2011

Simon Davidson- Never forgotten





Simon Davidson was a talented, loving, enthusiastic, athletic, energetic 20year old and an amazing friend. A handsome young man with a magic smile that was infectious to all. He was so gifted and held the power to make people feel good, he was a charmer. Simon was a styly boater and a pleasure to paddle with. Simon loved people and he loved to party! Him and Matt were always rocking the beats and wearing some of the best attire for the occasion. Having him to stay in Okere Falls over the summer was so much fun, he was always keen to boat or go for a smoothie at the store. Conversations were always loaded with banter and laughs, he had a great sense of humour. Pushing the limits, he was a solid boater and always encouraging me to push myself, try new lines and use the white-water but at the same time he made me feel safe.
I spoke to Simon about 2weeks ago when I arrived in Prague, he called me on skype. We had a 3way convo with Matt and Leela and it was soo funny! He was on form and in his usual excited self; life was always exciting with Simon around. He carried passion and drive and was full of ideas and dreams. I feel really privileged to have had the chance to get to know Simon, he was a really awesome guy, one of the coolest guys I have met. Although I only knew him for a short time, I wish I could have known him much longer. He will be missed by so many people, he was very well respected and loved. I know everyone in Okere Falls was really excited for him to move there next NZ summer!
The accident happened when he was out kayaking with his ‘Dash Hound Crew’, aka Leela Samuels and his very Best friend Matt Burton. Some people say that if you are going to leave the world it should be doing something you love. But in this case I totally disagree; Simon should be living doing the things he loved! He had so much more time before him and he was meant to die old and crusty with thousands of crazy stories.
A quote from Josh Neilson that sums Simon up nicely- ‘You are an Inspiration, happy, motivated, biggest smile, one of the nicest people on earth.. the list goes on and on! The world is a brighter place because of you and that massive smile bro! See you on the other side some day! Aroha Nui’
Sending lots of Love and strong vibes to all his Family and Friends at this hard time, my thoughts are with everyone.
Checkout Simons blog- www.flowadventures.blogspot.com
We will always remember you, your wicked personality and the good times. xoxo
I have my first World Cup here in Slovenia in two days- you will fuel my fire Simon!

2 comments:

Laziza said...

I'm Isabelle from Switzerland .During a trip to NZ I just saw Simon "jumping" in Huka Falls in january 2010, took pictures from him and congratulated him from the top and them on his way back to the parking . I thought first to ask him his email
address to send him my picture but was not sure about quality and said nothing ..
But I will always remember his large smile looking at me from the river .. so happy ..
I'm reading nzheralds from home .. and was shocked when I recognized this young smiling face , didn't want to realize it's him .. but I find your blog and i can see the same picture on your blog ..
I'm really sade , even if I just crossed him half an hour in his short but intensive life .. And I send to his family , and friends my thoughts. Life is so strange ..and I know such a lot young fabulous people gone .. I wish they can enjoy together for eternity now ..
Isa from Geneva.

*Louise* said...

Hi Isabelle,
Thanks for your message. I only knew Simon for about a year and we only hung out occasionally but none the less he was a really good friend and I was always excited to see him when we did hang out. I have been wanting to paddle Huka Falls for ages but never get around to doing it. When I met Simon he was determined to take me down Huka Falls, it was his home run! Often I would talk about coming to visit him and Matt in Taupo and run it, but I was always caught up with other stuff and never made it. When I get home in October I will make sure I run it with Matt!