Sunday, November 03, 2013

Huka Falls!

Above- Sam Ricketts flys over the falls

 Huka Falls is one of New Zealand's big water gems just outside of Taupo. The mass of the Waikato river condenses into a tight gorge of big water waves and holes leading to a 30 or so foot drop. At high levels this section of Whitewater is very burly, but at lower levels it is good to go. On Saturday night the flow was at 90cumecs which is descent but not too high. Ricketts, Tilzy, Greg, Sean, Rob and I boosted down to check it out. I havn’t paddled it in over two years and was not sure if I would paddle or not as 90cumecs is high enough to be a bit pushy. But once we got there and had a quick scout I decided I felt good and was fired up to get back on it!
Everything went sweet! I had good lines and came out of the falls upright even though my boof was pretty weak.
Looking forward to a lot more missions here over the summer!!! Thanks to the solid crew!
Stoked!

 Above- Sean Curtis setting up for the main drop
 Rob gets some air time on the lead in...
 Fun entry section
Ricketts & Tillzy at the Weir
Vew from the bridge- the horizon line

No comments: