Sunday, October 26, 2008

British Open

This weekend we had the British Open in Llangollen, a small town in wales. It was an awesome event with lots of competitors and a good atmosphere.
We started the weekend off with dinner and some games of pool at the local pub on the Friday night.
On the Saturday we had the Qualifications for the British Open Canoe Slalom Championships. I had two very average runs with 6secs worth of penalties. I finshed up in 12th. Luuka the other Kiwi finished in 15th. So we had both qaulified for the Semi Finals(Top 20).
That night we all got dressed up with very formal wear, it was quite the contrast to the usual kayak etire. It was a really fun night with all of Britains top athletes being awarded for their achievements.
On the Sunday the river was up a lot and raging for our Semi Finals race. My first run was okay but I had a big paddle back for the last gate. I fortunately managed to slip into the final in 9th place.
My final run was okay but again I struggled with the fast flow on a bottom cross that lost me a bit of time. I ended up in 8th. Luuka unfortunately picked up a 50second penalty so was out for the final.
All in all it was a really cool weekend!!!Very enjoyable:)
Top Placings...
K1Mens: 1st: Huw Sweatnam, 2nd:Danielle Momentie, 3rd:Joe Morley
K1W: Louise Donnigton, Lizzy Neave
C1M:David Florence,
C2M: Scott/Bailie

No comments: