Sunday, January 13, 2013

Aotearoa- Land of the long white cloud

After many hours of traveling I finally made it back to New Zealand! Since I have been home I have settled back into Okere Falls and have managed to line up some work for the next few months. I have been out surfing a lot at our local spot- Nudics and have been back in my kayak. The other day I joined Soph, Leela, Sam, Leaf and a few others for a trip down a small grade 2/3 creek just out of Te Puke. It was really really beautiful and the walls of the river had moss all over them! The weather was stunning and this combined with the amazing scenery was soo good!
Today I followed Brendan, Tyler, Soph, Leela and Elsy down to Access 14 of the Tongariro River. This section of river is beautiful and a good read and run class 3/4. It only runs about three times per summer so I was really stoked to get on it finally! The take out is at Treetrunk Gorge drops but this was just a bit too high to run today. 
On the weekend we had the 10th Andy Duff Memorial Race here on the Katiuna river. With 5 classes- Short boat, Long boat, Topo, Swimming and Rafting this is a really good day that brings every man and his dog out to the river. I was stoked to take out the long boat class as there was definately some hot competition around with Olympian Luuka Jones and Toni George. The mens was won by Kenny Mutton. We also had a primo all ladies raft crew that owned the raft race!
So stoked to be back here in NZL! Hanging out with good friends again:) Getting out on the lake with friends on the boat water skiing, kayaking, surfing and easing back into work!















No comments: