Monday, September 22, 2008

The update






The other day we drove for an hour to the coast of Slovenja to get some kayak gear from the Sandiline factory and then on to Ljubliana. In the centre of Ljubliana town there is a river. They held a night time flat water 1 on 1 dual slalom race on the river. It was a very cool atmosphere! There was only 8 Women entered though so we went straight to Semi finals. And unfortunately for me I was up against the 2006 World Champion Jana Dukatova. So for obvious reasons I got my ass kicked. She ended up winning the race overall.
The K1 and C1 Men’s was more competitive with time trials and then the top 16 going on to Semifinals. Peter Kauzer took out the K1M and Jana Dukatova the K1W.

On the weekend we had qualifications for World Series race No.2.at Solkan. The weather in Solkan was really nice all week but unfortunately on race day the winds picked up and the competition got cancelled. So on the Sunday morning I managed to get a ride to Leipzig in Germany with the Canadians. Leipzig is a pretty new course 143km from Berlin. It is suppose to have a similar design to the slalom course in Beijing, just a bit smaller. They have really kindly let me stay with them in the houses that they are living in right by the course. They are really nice and warm and at a really good price. They have also said that I can train with them and will be coaching me for the week for a small cost. So thanks heaps to the Canadians!!! I really appreciate it.
I think I am saying goodbye to my European summer though because it is really cold here! I have been wearing pants and my down jacket the last few days. The place we are staying has a sauna though too which is awesome!Its been great hanging out here too as all the paddlers are staying in the houses here which makes it like a kayak villiage!
This weekend we have the last World Series race here in Leipzig! After the race I will be catching a ride with the British to England!


No comments: