Monday, October 26, 2009

Markets and back to school























Yesterday was my first day of not paddling, and to be honest I needed the rest! Instead Leela and I went down to the Livingstone markets and traded old clothes and gadgets of ours for there African paintings, jewellery and other gifts. To be honest although it is a lot cheaper over here things still add up! We did pretty well though, I was going to throw most of my old clothes out anyway!
There is a British guy staying at our backpackers who is volounteering at a local primary school to teach soccer. So today I joined him and spent a day as 'Aunty Louise' or 'teacher' with the kids. It was a pretty cool experience. All the kids were really lovely. They all had newspaper over there exercise books and were limited to 3 computers in the whole school! They dominated me in chess though. I told them some Maori myths which I think they might have understood...maybe. I was even treated to a traditional African meal of NhShima with chicken and veges. It was...interesting. Nhshima is the staple food in their diet and it looks like mashed potatoe but tastes like nothing.
Tommorrow is our last day kayaking here on the Zambezi!!!Then off to Uganda for more adventures...
Pics from African Trip thus far...enjoy:)(Click on pics to ENLARGE)

1 comment:

Liz Jull said...

Hi Lou,
Thanks for the fabulous photoes, your african safari sounds great, enjoy Uganda.
Love Mumxxxx