Sunday, January 29, 2012

NZ Slalom Team- NZ Open



NZ Selections

My expectation going into the 2012 NZ Canoe Slalom Selections was definitely not what I would call high. However I knew my fitness is still reasonable and I have continued to paddle white-water on a daily basis so was not too concerned. Day 1’s race was no major surprise when I struggled to perform well, I felt tired and out of touch with the idea of poles again. After a good river run in my slalom boat on the Kaituna that night I felt fired up and ready to go for Selection Race 2. I pulled out 2 okay runs on the Sunday and placed 2nd New Zealander. My runs had errors but all in all I was okay with my performances considering the little amount of slalom I have been doing.

The NZ Open was held the following weekend on the Mangahau Slalom course just out of Shannon. Mangahau is a really good white-water course with a lot of really good features. Placing 3rd woman (2nd NZ) on the Saturday I was pretty relaxed going into Sundays racing. I put down a solid semi-final run to place in 3rd going into the final. Finishing with a 5th place(2nd NZ) in the final after picking up a touch and a few minor mistakes. I have once again secured myself a spot on the NZ Senior Canoe Slalom Team as 2nd boat.

Mike Kurt of Switzerland took out the mens class with Fabian Dorfler of Germany in a close 2nd and John Hastings of Canada placing in 3rd. The Womens event was won by Czech 17year old Caro with Luuka Jones less than a second behind her.

Checkout Mike's pre edit of the event:

Mangahoe pre edit from Kiwi Creations on Vimeo.

No comments: