Friday, May 09, 2008

Nottingham- Liptovsky





Gootentarg!
With a 3am start I began my departure from Nottingham. I went to check in my kayak and bags with a total weight of 35kg, 15 or so Kg over the amount allowed. Luckily for me I am blessed with Kiwi charm and managed to get my gear through free of charge! I didn’t even have to pay the 25Euro charge for the kayak that is supposed to be enforced.
I was then stopped in customs and searched twice over. I had to laugh when the Customs guy asked to search my bag…It took him a while to get the numerous items out that’s for sure! So I was finally off and on my way out of the land of the Queen.
After an interesting flight on AirBerlin of which the only words I understood in the Safety briefing were Hello and Ausgang(Exit) I finally reached the land of Haribo(The famous German lollies). It was a sunny day of 18 degrees! Unfortunately for me I did not get to enjoy the sunshine as I was stuck waiting in the centre of Dusseldorf Airport for the next 4 hours as I awaited my connecting flight to Vienna.

On arrival into Vienna I was greeted by James and Danka. We drove out to Brataslava and this is where I met Cody. Cody is the car that Me and James bought for 40,000 Cz (So about $2000 NZL). It is a 1990 Skoda Rapid. Appariently back in the day it was really cool!!(Note the back in the day!)
Brataslava is an amazing city like none I have ever been to before. It has lots of Comu towers from back in the day when it was fully communist. We were fortunate enough to stay with Danka and her family in there home in Brataslava.
The next day we drove the whole way across the Czech Republic to the Galasport factory to pick up James boat. This is when we discovered the interesting elements of Cody. Our car comes with a mind of its own you see…We havn’t yet figured out the alarm so every now and then it screams at you! This came to be quite embarrassing! Especially when we were meeting new people, filling up with gas, at the river and at the supermarket. We were desperate to work it out fast in the fear of losing friends rather quickly! I thought it was embarrassing when in Czech I went into the mens instead of womens toilets(Due to Language difficulties) but I soon found the more embarrassing moment was to get inside the car(after alarm yelled for a bit) and it not start for about 3 goes, in which time a big cloud of smoke decided to eject itself out of Cody’s exaust. This brought on a lot of steers and James speaking rather quickly…’Lets get outa here…now!!!’
Cody’s fun does not end here however. He makes so much noise when cruising along that we must turn up our music really loud so we can’t here its ticking and carryon. This makes it a bit like trying to talk in a club. Hitch hikers have also been seen pulling there hands in rather quickly when they see us coming! We take no offence to this…they are the ones missing out on an interesting ride. Although we sit at about 80km on hills and 100km on the straight. We made it to 120 a few times though!! (speed limit here is 130..hmmm)
So anyway we were fortunate enough to stay with the owners of the Galasport factory which was awesome as I was not so keen to drive onto Prague after 6hours driving!

Finally today….We drove all the way across Czech and half of Slovakja to Liptovsky Mikolus. We took a few little adventure backroads along the way which allowed us to get the full scenic tour! It was very amazing countryside!So beautiful and different. Lots of ruins of castles and big castles and villiages. It has so much history!is amazing!
When we finally arrived we checked in at Hotel Klar. Pretty basic but all we need and it has got wireless so sweet!
We then went down and checked out the course! It is a wicked as course, but pretty tricky and very cold!!!Im talking Dunedin cold! So we got changed and were ready to jump on. However…because I was looking rather under prepared for the icy water that I was about to immerse myself in I had some Czech guys come and give me there full body suit things to wear!! They were like…”You can’t go, you get cold!!” I think they thought I was a bit crazy.
The course is great fun and I am loving Liptovsky. It is so beautiful and really cool to hang out in. I think we are going into town soon to shop. The Czech guys are coming, hopefully they will translate for us!

Daquim

Louise

No comments: