Friday, May 16, 2008

Race Day 1


Today was the first day of racing here in Liptovsky Mikulas as part of the three day racing event of the Tatra Slalom race. With 14 countries from around the globe the start pool was full of several past and present Olympic and World Champions. Because I do not have a current ranking here in Europe I was put towards the end with a lot of the top women, this added to the hype and pressure on the startline.

Run 1: My first run was pretty typical for me, I had good lines but was slow. All up it was a pretty sweet run with not many penalties and hardly any mistakes. It was solid. This put me into 23rd. I could definately make up 5-10seconds on it however.

Run 2: My second run was unfortunately not so smooth. My line down the main shoot was mint however the water in this section is rather challenging and I didn't pull hard enough so was pushed into the big man eating hole. I then got surfed for a rather long period of time, there were a lot of cheers and I put on a good rodeo show for the best part of a minute. Eventually the hole turned me over and I whacked my head on the big underwater rock. So after this disaster I was placed 34th out of the 44 women in the strongly contested field.

Top K1W: Elena Kaliska- Slovakia

Top K1M: Fabien Lefevre- France

Top C1M: Michal Martican- Slovakia

Top C2: Skantar/Skantar- Slovakia

And James Dawson the other Kiwi put down 2 solid runs and placed 21st in the 61 strong C1 field!


Dobre Dobre

No comments: