Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pre World Championships

Yesterday the Pre World Championships for Canoe Slalom kicked off here in La Seu D Urgell with what they called an evolution test. This was a course set with ten downstreams on the slalom course, no upstreams. If you got a touch you didn't get any penalties and if you missed a gate you were disqualified. I am unsure of final results. It was something quite different to the usual slalom. Last night we then had the opening ceremony of the event. All the countries marched through the town centre to the town hall where we heard some speeches and watched some local dancers perform. Afterwards we all went to the local ice cream stalls in the centre of town and hung out. 
Today we have the Canoe Slalom Qualifications. I am feeling better today then I have been during the week but still not 100%. My first run was okay. I had two silly touches and lost my line through one of the drops but otherwise it was okay. I felt very tired towards the end but I think this is just because I have not been very well for the last two weeks and my energy levels are low.  They weighed my boat at the end and it was 10.2KG!!!!Not Good!!! It is feeling so hard to turn now and I am ready to chuck it!!However I think I will need it for my 2nd run. 

I think you can check results on: www.123result.com

I am currently sitting in 23rd after 1st runs and top 20 go through to the Semi-finals tommorrow. There are only 28 K1W so it is quite a small field but it is full of many of the Worlds best. There is no one on the start list that wasn't making Semis at any of the World Cups. 
There are 4 C1W (A very entertaining class). 25 C1M, 48 K1M and 14 C2M. 

I will put pics up later. I should go and prepare for 2nd runs now though as they will be soon. Thanx heaps to the Canadian and Americans for helping video me and walk the course with me. 

No comments: